Monday, April 2, 2012

Texas Wine and Sunshine

My first "official" wandering was at the Old Town Spring Wine Festival, just a 30 minute drive north of Houston, Texas.  I enjoy a glass of nice wine, and love to taste local vintages, so I gathered up a group of taste-testers to join me.

This was our first jaunt to this wine fest, although I went to Old Town Spring when I was a child.  I remembered quaint stores, Christmas lights twinkling in the trees, and carolers.  I was interested to see how I would view the area as an adult (with wine added to the mix!).  I am pleased to report that Old Town Spring still maintains the essence of quaintness and serenity a couple of blocks away from the bustling I-45.  The streets were blocked to traffic, allowing people to walk in the streets without fear of getting plowed down.  The Wine Fest highlighted the square; booths of wine dotted various streets instead of being focused in one spot.  We were forced to walked throughout the entire area to find all the wineries, but we had no complaints.  We popped into various specialty stores: a bead store, an Italian market, a corset shop, an Asian antique store, etc.  They all welcomed us with our wine and treated us warmly.  We also tasted typical fair food: fried oreos, curly fries, and fried Reese's peanut butter cups.  Although technically they did not mix with wine, we had to try them.

The wine selection itself was a nice sample of wineries around Texas, although noticeably absent was a representative from Messina Hopf, one of my favorites.  Still, we sampled Clear Creek Wineries, Bernhardt Wineries, and many others that I can't remember (and I accidentally threw out my map... sorry!).  Bernhardt was the first I tried - a lovely cabernet - and it turned out to be my favorite (although the mead there was intriguing).  One trend I did see, and didn't quite enjoy, were the flavored wines - peach wine, chocolate cherry wine, lime wine.  I'm not a snob, but I like the flavors of natural wine without added flavors.  My friends enjoyed the flavored wine, but I'm good with a nice chianti or cabernet.

Still, the sun beating down on our backs and the mix of people casually milling about gave the afternoon an overall peaceful feeling.

Grade: A.  A jolly good time!

Today, I wandered to a local park with my camera - I'm trying to learn more about photography.  Here's a random pansy that I played with and edited.


This weekend: Wandering to a local museum, where history comes alive!

Happy wandering everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment