Monday, May 21, 2012

Strawberries and Princess Leia

Sorry for not wandering lately, but sometimes work and life does get in the way.  My mind wandered plenty, though, about future wanderings and adventures.  This weekend I was able to kind of catch up.

This past weekend was the Strawberry Festival in Pasadena, Tx.  I've never been before, despite my Texas upbringing, but some friends cajoled me into visiting their booth.  So I grabbed my camera and off I went.

I don't really know what I was expecting - perhaps lots of strawberries, and eating contest or two, lots of food.  Oh, it was so much more.  It's also a place with vendor booths, a carnival, tons of carnival food (a hamburger on a pair of doughnuts, anyone?), a barbeque cook off, and the largest strawberry shortcake in the world.

My first stop was the shortcake.  It was truly the size of my living room, if not larger - and they were selling huge chunks for only $2.00 (my one piece could've fed four people).  It was tasty, but not spectacular - but what can you expect from a mass item of food?  It had cake, whipped cream, and then strawberries.  Mine at home are better because I soak the cake in the strawberry juice, but that would've been a bit more difficult.

I then wandered around the vendors, stopped at the various theatre booths to see my friends, and dodged gaudy, blinky, bedazzled outfits and cups to sell.  Not finding anything worth my time and money, I headed out to the midway where I immediately indulged on chicken on a stick.  It was "cajun style," but not spicy.  The batter was more reminiscent of a fish-and-chips batter, which made me happy.  It was juicy and crispy and just yummy.  Although I enjoyed it, I wish I waited - because I then ran across so many more foods that just called my name - fried oreos, fried shrimp, barbeque... yum!  But alas, I ate the shortcake and chicken and had to ignore the rest.

After spending some time with my friends, the uber-talented group behind Stage Door Inc. Theatre in Houston/Pasadena, I left.  I should've brought a friend, which I will do when I go next year.

Yesterday I wandered to the Hobby Center for Performing Arts to see Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia)'s one-woman show - "Wishful Drinking."  I knew it was humorous, and I knew it was about her life, but I was not expecting the blunt humor drenched in sarcasm and humility.  She was comfortable, went into the audience, asked the audience questions, and told her story in a way that was so brutally honest that I was sometimes confused as if I should laugh or not.  No one was safe: herself, her husbands, her parents, Elizabeth Taylor, George Lucas.  She talked about being bipolar and an addict in such a way that gave some insight into the disorders.  And she gave a great piece of advice: when you're feeling sorry for yourself, watch World War II documentaries and footage.

Wander on, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment